Physical Education, BS
NY: All levels
Department Chair: Paul Brawdy, Ph.D.
The physical education undergraduate degree and teacher preparation is registered in New York State to provide initial certification.
|Biology (in addition to General Education) 1||8|
|General Education Requirements||37|
|EDUC-099A||SAFE SCHOOLS WORKSHOP||0|
|EDUC-099B||CHILD ABUSE PREVENTION||0|
|EDUC-099D||CULTURAL DIVERSITY WORKSHOP||0|
|EDUC-099F||Harassment, Bullying, Cyberbullying & Di||0|
|EDUC-099K||EXPERIENCE IN DIVERSE ENVIRONMENTS||0|
124 credit hours required for Physical Education degree. Total of 12 hours of Biology, 4 hours meeting the General Education Requirement. See below for specific courses in program.
Graduation Requirements for All Certification Programs
In order for students to graduate and/or be recommended for certification, all graduation and/or certification requirements must be completed satisfactorily. These include:
- Application for Graduation and Degree Audit (Registrar)
- Application for Graduation (School of Education evaluation)
- 3.0 GPA overall
- 3.0 GPA overall in all BIO, EDUC, HS, PHED, ECED and SPED courses
- 2.0 GPA in academic concentration
- Minimum grade of C in all education, special education, early childhood or physical education courses
- Successful completion of Student Teaching
- Submission and presentation of satisfactory Professional Electronic Portfolio
- Successful completion of EDUC-099D – Cultural Diversity Workshop
In order for students to be recommended for certification, all certification requirements must be complete. Students submit their application to the Certification Officer at the University with evidence of the following:
For New York Certification:
- Passing scores on required New York state certification exams and edTPA
- Completion of the Child Abuse Prevention Seminar
- Completion of the Safe Schools Workshop
- Completion of the DASA (Anti-Bullying) Workshop
- An official transcript indicating degree completion
- Completion of New York State fingerprinting
|Learn to Move course||3||HS-107||3|
|PHED-101||3||Learn to Move course||3|
|Learn to Move courses||6||Learn to Move course||3|
|4||General Education 1||6|
|General Education 1||3||BIO-212|
|PHED-311||3||Select two of the following:|
|Select two of the following:|
|PHED-490||5||General Education 1||6|
|Total Credits 121|
Students must complete one course with diversity (D) coding and one writing intensive course (W). These courses need to be additional course, but can be ones that also fill another requirement.
Note: Elementary and Secondary Methods coursework with clinical field hours must be completed prior to student teaching. These courses may be rearranged depending on semester of student teaching.
Proof of lifeguard certification required by the end of the second year.