The University Honors Council is responsible for overseeing two University Programs of Study. The Honors Program and the Interdepartmental Majors Program have been designed to provide challenging and unique academic opportunities for students who choose one or both of the experiences. The Honors Program at St. Bonaventure University brings highly motivated and academically qualified students into novel, stimulating and productive interaction with the faculty. Students are welcome to participate in as much of the program as they desire, or they may fulfill all the requirements for a degree with honors.
Requirements for Enrollment in the Honors Program
- Incoming students must have a combined SAT score of 1270 (math plus verbal) OR 1270 (New SAT – Math & Evidence Based Reading & Writing) OR an ACT score of 27 and a high school average of 90.
- Enrolled students must maintain cumulative GPAs of 3.25 each semester. Reviews of Honors student GPAs begin after the students have completed their first semesters at St. Bonaventure University and continue after each completed semester thereafter.
- Enrolled students must take at least one Honors-designated course a year to maintain their status as Honors students.
- Transfer students must have a cumulative GPA of 3.25 or higher at the institution they are leaving for St. Bonaventure or meet the same standards as incoming students.
- Transfer students will be granted up to 6 transfer credits for Honors courses passed with a grade of B+ or higher, subject to the approval of the Director of the Honors Program.
Requirements for enrolled students invited to join the Honors Program
- Students with a cumulative GPA of 3.50 after their first semester enrolled at St. Bonaventure University will be invited to join the Honors Program.
- Students accepting the invitation to the Honors Program will meet with the Honors Program Director in an orientation session designed to explain the program requirements and ensure that prospective Honors students are aware of the policies for enrollment in the Honors Program.
- Students invited to join the Honors Program will be granted Honors Student status and be allowed to register early and to register for Honors courses.
- Students invited to join the Honors Program will be evaluated again following the second semester enrolled at St. Bonaventure University. Any enrolled student invited to join the Honors Program must maintain a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25 after the first full year enrolled to remain an Honors Student. Enrolled students whose GPA falls below 3.25 after the second semester will be removed from any Honors course registered for and will be denied admittance into the Honors Program.
Policies for Suspension and Dismissal from the Honors Program
- Enrolled students with a cumulative GPA between 3.00 and 3.25 will be placed on probation within the Honors program. If student on probation does not raise his/her cumulative GPA to 3.25 or higher in the following semester, he or she will be dismissed from the Honors Program.
- Enrolled students with a cumulative GPA below 3.00 will be dismissed from the Honors Program.
- Students dismissed from the Honors Program will have the opportunity to reapply for admission with the Director of the Honors Program once the student is able to raise his/her cumulative GPA above 3.25. Applications for readmission to the Honors Program will be brought to the Honors Council for deliberation.
Successful completion of any of these endeavors will be acknowledged by a notice on the student's permanent transcript, but to earn a “Degree with Honors,” the highest undergraduate degree offered by the university, students must fulfill all of the following requirements*:
Five (5) courses … must be either Honors courses within a discipline or with the HON prefix. More details will be available as the changes to the General Education Curriculum are put into place.