School District Leader Advanced Certification
Program Director: Margaret Jones-Carey, Ed.D.
This is a school district level certification program only and prepares students for administrative leadership at the school district level. It is for school building leaders/administrators seeking positions as school district level administrators at some time in their careers.
This is a 30-credit program that includes up to 18 credits from a School Building Leader program (taken at St. Bonaventure or elsewhere). There are 12 credit hours required for the School District Leader certification program.
The program provides students with extended research-based knowledge in areas such as negotiations, leadership for the superintendence, central office leadership. Upon completion of the registered program, candidates will receive a Certificate of Program Completion.
Information About Certification
Completion of these courses prepares the candidate to take the New York state test for School District Leader administrative certification.
The admissions committee reviews the following in considering candidates for this program:
- Master’s in Education or certification-related area
- K-12 School Experience (three years in New York)
- Teaching or Counseling Certification
- School Building Level Certification or at least 18 credits of school building course credits
- Transcripts from all previous colleges attended
- Two references (one from supervising principal or superintendent)
- Ability to do graduate work
- Success as a school building level administrator
- Writing Sample
- Test scores: GRE, MAT or another substantially equivalent test
- Additional information, if requested by program director
Students may be able to apply up to three (3) credits administrative coursework taken elsewhere to this program. The program director makes all decisions about acceptance of transfer credits at the time the program plan is written.
|EDL-630||CENTRAL OFFICE LEAD/PLAN||3|
|EDL-698A||SCHOOL DISTRICT LEADER PRACTICUM||1|
|EDL-698B||SCHOOL DISTRICT LEADER INTERNSHIP||2|
Required courses for New York SDL.
Field Experience Requirements
For this Certification, students are expected to complete two competency-based field experiences in district office settings.
- The first field experience is the 1 credit EDL-698A Practicum. The Practicum requires 90 clock hours.
- The second field experience is the 2 credit EDL-698B Internship requiring 90 clock hours.
A student may begin the Practicum and Internship once the first two district level educational leadership courses are completed.
Students who are teaching in K-12 school settings may be eligible to complete their field experiences in their own school districts. This should be discussed with the adviser early in the program so that appropriate arrangements can be coordinated. Students must complete at least six (6) course credits through St. Bonaventure University to be eligible for field experiences.
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- Successful completion of the Practicum and Internship
- Submission of a satisfactory electronic portfolio showing professional growth and accomplishments during the coursework and field experiences