The online master's degree in inclusive special education is designed to help teachers to meet the ever-changing demands of diverse classrooms and may be completed by teachers with certification in nearly any area or grade level. Teachers will learn to differentiate instruction and assessment to meet the needs of students with the full range of exceptionalities, including students with disabilities, English language learners, students who have experienced trauma and students who may be gifted.
The program has three different certification tracks.
- Early Childhood Inclusive Special Education
- Childhood Inclusive Special Education
- Secondary Inclusive Special Education (7-12) Generalist
These programs meet the master’s degree requirement for professional certification in New York state.
There is also an Advanced Certificate in Teaching Students With Exceptionalities. This program does not lead to teacher certification.
Learn to give individualized instruction in diverse and inclusive settings
Building on the Franciscan philosophy of social justice, we strive to create inclusive communities that value diversity as a strength. This program prepares and mentors professionals who are able to individualize instruction in inclusive and collaborative environments.
Using critical pedagogy to meet the needs of diverse and marginalized populations, including students with disabilities, students for whom English is an additional language, and students experiencing trauma or living in poverty, teachers will become leaders and agents of change.
This program is founded in the School of Education conceptual framework of competence, experience, and social justice. This program is aligned with the CEC standards for professional special educators and students practice these competencies in hands-on, field-based experiences.
Students integrate social justice into their practice through respect for diversity, dignity and worth and creating learning experiences that are mindful of a full range of diversity.
A program that provides you with a unique and effective skill set
Our inclusive special education program is designed to help graduates acquire:
- strategies to differentiate instruction for students with disabilities
- assessment and data literacies to meet the needs of all learners
- the ability to meet the needs of students for whom English in not a first language
- advanced collaboration methods
- the means to individualize and differentiate STEM content for all learners
- the ability to integrate meaningful instructional and assistive technologies
- the ability to design supportive environments to meet the social, emotional and behavioral needs of learners