Director: Kimberly DeSimone, Ph.D.
Phone: (716) 375-2060
The Master of Arts in Leadership is a 33-credit online master’s program that blends the latest leadership theory and practice with a strong foundation in communication skills required for the global marketplace. Our program focuses on mastering leadership concepts and skills, but also on discerning how to lead humanly, deeply, and well in the world.
The program provides a highly interactive, team-based learning experience encompassing the following objectives:
- Develop personal awareness and clarity of purpose as a leader
- Examine ethics and leadership values from a service orientation perspective
- Foster interpersonal and organizational communication skills
- Adapt and respond to global changes in the marketplace and diverse populations
- Develop critical thinking and problem solving skills for leaders
- Engage in strategic thinking for organizational growth and change
Online courses are taken in seven-week sessions, with two sessions offered per semester. Courses do not need to follow a specific sequence except for Cornerstone and Capstone courses.
The Cornerstone Course, LEAD-605 , is our gateway course that all students must first take. The course introduces students to leadership theories that will be built on throughout the program and students will complete a 360 Evaluation to develop an action plan related to their leadership skills and abilities.
The Capstone Courses, LEAD-655 and LEAD-660 are required to complete the program. Each focuses on an individual student project and portfolio that integrates learning throughout the program and demonstrates each student’s unique leadership skills and attributes.
Online-Only Program Structure
The online format of the program isn’t just about convenience. Sure, today’s busy professionals need the flexibility to take care of their business and personal lives while also pursuing a graduate degree, but our online program provides much more than convenience.
Our excellent faculty are specially trained to teach in the online environment. They will engage students in ways that are not possible in a face-to-face environment, and they’re committed to ensuring that students not only learn the content of the curriculum, but that they are able to apply that content to leadership challenges.
Students will have access to technical support any time they need it. In order to set you up for success, all online students will take an online orientation course.
Admission to the MA in Leadership program is based on:
- A completed application
- Short essay (500 words) stating candidate’s goals for engaging in such a learning experience
- A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university
- Transcripts from all institutions attended
- Preference given to candidates with three years or more of significant work experience
- A current résumé
|LEADERSHIP AND VALUES|
|LEADERSHIP AND DIVERSITY|
|TALENT, CULTURE & HR|
|ORGANIZATIONAL STRUCTURE & BEHAVIOR|
|ETHICAL LEADERSHIP & INCLUSION|
|LEGAL AND POLITICAL ENVIR.|
|PROJECT IN STRAT LEADERSHIP|
In order to be awarded the M.A. in Leadership, a student will be evaluated on the following exit criteria:
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.0
- Successful completion of the Leadership Portfolio and Leadership Project