Secondary Inclusive Special Education(7-12) Generalist, MSED
Program Director: Dr. Rene' E. Hauser
This degree program prepares teachers for 7-12 generalist special education certification, which allows teachers to teach students with disabilities from grades 7-12. Graduates with this certification can teach in resource room, consultant teacher and co-taught classrooms as well as self-contained non-academic special education classrooms.
Coursework is aligned with the Council for Exceptional Children professional standards for special education teachers and combines the realms of theory, research and field experience.
The admission committee reviews the following in considering candidates for this program:
- Initial (or pending) Teaching certificate in elementary or secondary education
- Note: Candidates can be admitted prior to initial certification (passed edTPA and all NYS required certification tests) with a grace period of one semester from the start of the program to complete certification.
- Official transcripts of all prior college work (3.00/4.00 GPA)
- Two letters of recommendation
- Interview Impromptu writing sample (taken at interview)
- EdTPA, GRE or MAT score
NOTE: State law requires SBU to collect immunization records from students taking six or more credit hours in any semester.
|EDUC-500||RESEARCH METHODS IN THE EDUCATION PROFESSION||3|
|EDUC-599K||EXPERIENCE IN DIVERSE ENVIRONMENTS||0|
|READ-550||TCHNG LINGUISTICALLY/CULTURALLY DIVERSE||3|
|SPED-503||EVAL & MEAS FOR INCLUS EDUC||3|
|SPED-504||COLLAB BEHAV SUPPORT & TRANS||3|
|SPED-510||INST DESIGN & STRATEGIES||3|
|SPED-511||FOUNDATIONS OF INCLUSIVE EDUC||3|
|SPED-515||TECHNOLOGY FOR INCLUSIVE EDUC||3|
|SPED-575||CRITICAL ISSUES INCL ED & DIV||3|
|SPED-590G||EXT PRACT FOR GRADES 7-12||3|
|SPED-600||CAPSTONE RESEARCH IN INCL ED||3|